JUST TRYAN IT is a non-profit committed to helping families get to the other side of a cancer diagnosis by providing financial assistance and community support. JUST TRYAN IT (JTI) was founded on the belief that children can and should help other children in their community and through our kids’ triathlons, they have the opportunity to race in honor or memory of another child and fundraise for our cause. Volunteer focused, JTI seeks leaders that can rally and support others in a shared vision to make the world a better place. JTI is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Race Director – Chapel Hill, NC 2021
The Race Director works in collaboration with JTI’s Director of Race of Operation (DRO) to manage all aspects of the event within the local community.
We are looking for someone who can execute a community building event with passion for the cause and compassion for the community, the racers, and the volunteers. The individual should have strong leadership skills with the ability to manage a volunteer race committee, all event logistics for hundreds of young triathletes, and over 150 teen and adult volunteers. This person should be decisive, results driven, and comfortable using the Google Drive and other general web technology.
Meet race registration goals in accordance with the budget. Recruit race captains and managing team. Manage all logistics of Race Weekend. Manage race budget.
- Oversee all aspects of the race and responsible for overall racer experience.
- Set race courses.
- Select, negotiate and execute contracts with timing company, host site, DJ and other vendors.
- Deliver race day entertainment for race families and spectators.
- Inventory and manage delivery/pick-up, procurement and coordination of all race-day equipment along with Procurement Coordinator.
- Review order for procurement of racer and volunteer t-shirts.
- Oversee execution of efficient race packet pick-up.
- Determine race day safety approach of all racers, volunteers and spectators and communicate this effectively.
- Solicit and collate post race feedback from volunteers and racers.
- Secure Vendor Contracts for all vendors.
Volunteer Management and Community Engagement
- Recruit and manage key race season volunteers, including race captains and race day volunteers.
- Provide regular updates to key race volunteers ensuring that all feel part of a team and are able to support one another on race day.
- Manage Race Day Volunteer Captains and oversee management of all race day volunteers.
- Plan and execute post race celebration and recognition of key volunteer efforts.
- Help to identify and secure corporate sponsorships.
- Promote the mission and cause of JTI in the community.
- Print and prepare volunteer lanyards for race.
- Review the proposed race budget and provide feedback prior to board approval.
- Manage race budget.
- Fill event registration and meet budget goals as set by board and DRO.
Coordination with Director of Race of Operation (DRO)
- Identify key race season dates (e.g., registration open/close, sponsorship deadline, etc.) in conjunction with the DRO.
- Communicate marketing needs (i.e. website/social media/newsletter updates, artwork needs such as course maps, banners, etc., and collateral updates including course map pads, spectator pamphlets, racer boards, etc.) Work with DRO to establish mutually agreed upon date for deliverables.
- Work with DRO to review contracts before execution, ensure appropriate insurance coverage is in place for race day and deliver COI to event site as required by site agreement.
- Maintain regular communication with the DRO.
- Act as primary point of contact between JUST TRYAN IT and event site.
The work of the race director is a 9-10 month position with sporadic work for the first 6 months and then more consistent work required as the race date approaches.
- Meet race registration goals and execute race within set race budget.
- Delivery of monthly race-related updates to DRO for the 8 months prior to race day.
- Delivery of bi-weekly race-related updates to DRO and key race volunteers once registration opens (approximately 12 weeks before race day).
- Evaluation of post-race feedback from key volunteers, sponsors, race families and general public.
- The role of Race Director is hired as an independent contractor with a stipend of $5000 per race.