JUST TRYAN IT is a non-profit committed to helping families get to the other side of a cancer diagnosis by providing financial assistance and community support. JUST TRYAN IT was founded on the belief that children can and should help other children in their community and through our kids’ triathlons, they have the opportunity to race in honor or memory of another child and fundraise for our cause. Volunteer focused, JUST TRYAN IT seeks leaders that can rally and support others in a shared vision to make the world a better place.
Race Director Role
The children’s triathlons are JUST TRYAN IT’s main fundraising events of the year. First and foremost we are looking for someone that can execute a community building event with passion for the cause and compassion for the community, the racers, and the volunteers. We are looking for an individual with leadership skills who can be successful in Volunteer Management, Project Management, Budget Management, Team Building, Troubleshooting, and Conflict Resolution. This person should be decisive, results driven, and comfortable using the Google Drive and other general web technology.
The work of the race director is a 9-10 month position with sporadic work for the first 6 months and then more consistent work required as the race date approaches.
- Oversee all aspects of the race and responsible for overall racer experience.
- Set race courses.
- Select, negotiate and execute contracts with timing company, host site, DJ and other vendors.
- Deliver race day entertainment for race families and spectators.
- Inventory and manage delivery/pick-up, procurement and coordination of all race-day equipment along with Procurement Coordinator.
- Review order for procurement of racer and volunteer t-shirts.
- Oversee execution of efficient race packet pick-up.
- Determine race day safety approach of all racers, volunteers and spectators and communicate this effectively.
- Solicit and collate post race feedback from volunteers and racers.
- Secure Vendor Contracts for all vendors.
Volunteer Management and Community Engagement
- Recruit and manage key race season volunteers, including race captains and race day volunteers.
- Provide regular updates to key race volunteers ensuring that all feel part of a team and are able to support one another on race day.
- Manage Race Day Volunteer Captains and oversee management of all race day volunteers.
- Plan and execute post race celebration and recognition of key volunteer efforts.
- Help to identify and secure corporate sponsorships.
- Promote the mission and cause of JTI in the community.
- Print and prepare volunteer lanyards for race.
- Review the proposed race budget and provide feedback prior to board approval.
- Manage race budget.
- Fill event registration and meet budget goals as set by board and Executive Director.
Coordination with Executive Director
- Identify key race season dates (e.g., registration open/close, sponsorship deadline, etc.) in conjunction with the Executive Director.
- Communicate marketing needs (i.e. website/social media/newsletter updates, artwork needs such as course maps, banners, etc., and collateral updates including course map pads, spectator pamphlets, racer boards, etc.) Work with Executive Director to establish mutually agreed upon date for deliverables.
- Work with Executive Director to review contracts before execution, ensure appropriate insurance coverage is in place for race day and deliver COI to event site as required by site agreement.
- Maintain regular communication with the Executive Director.
- Act as primary point of contact between JUST TRYAN IT and event site.
- Meet race registration goals and execute race within set race budget.
- Delivery of monthly race-related updates to Executive Director for the 8 months prior to race day.
- Delivery of bi-weekly race-related updates to Executive Director and key race volunteers once registration opens (approximately 12 weeks before race day).
- Evaluation of post-race feedback from key volunteers, sponsors, race families and general public.
- The role of Race Director is hired as an independent contractor with a stipend of $7500 in the first year of a race and $5000 every year after.