VOLUNTEER Join us and make a difference
We Love Our Volunteers
All are welcome to join this year’s crew and we would love your expertise – whatever it may be. Roles vary in time commitment and we are sure to have a spot for you! Contact us in Chapel Hill, Bethesda, or Alexandria.
Ken Caputo Volunteer Service Award
Ken Caputo was a volunteer who served in a “catch all” role. Arriving at 6am, he would welcome volunteers, fill in where needed, oversee the radio communications for our event, and pump everyone up. He was notorious for his huge smile and even bigger hug. Ken knew race day was all about the kids. He made it his mission to support and encourage our racers and inspire our volunteers by his example of enthusiasm, can-do spirit, and a healthy touch of goofiness.
This award is presented to the race day volunteer who best demonstrates these qualities. The recipient is announced in the post race newsletter and is honored on our social media outlets, website, and given a small token of our appreciation.
Although many months of planning go into each JUST TRYAN IT triathlon, we know that it is our race volunteers and racers that make the day so special. We look forward to showing our appreciation for all their contributions.
Kasey Parker – Chapel Hill. (Click here for all nominations.)
Terri Zigler – Bethesda.
Gilbert Amason – Alexandria. (Honorable Mention: Belle Dixon)
2016: Jaryn Tyson, Lorenzo Wilson, Gabriel Smith, Carolyn Roche
Current Volunteer Opportunities:
Contact Carrie for more information.
These positions are at the Headquarter level and report to the Executive Director. They work with the local Race Captains and Race Directors. Together they supports all the races.
Registration Systems Coordinator
- Manage and set up Classy campaigns (www.classy.org)
- Review and update automated emails in Mailchimp.
- Follow and track racers through the race season via Classy.
- Provide updates to the RD, ED, and social media manager regularly on great achievements / tends in fundraising by racers.
- If able, run the Donate Now table at packet pick up.
- Support additional JTI fundraising efforts via Classy (Create Your Own campaigns, Birthday donations, etc).
- Manage Classy campaign.
- Communicate with Team Captains regarding the desired #s of volunteers and specifics for each site.
- Send volunteer newsletter or manage automated emails to volunteers when they sign up.
- Email messages from Team Captains to volunteers (all emails to volunteers should be approved by the Team Captain and Race Director. They should appear as if they are coming from the Team Captain and have the Volunteer Captain, Race Director, and Team Captains cc’d.)
- Work to identify volunteer needs in the final weeks of the race for recruitment with the Volunteer Captain.
- Oversee switches needed to be made last minute
- Prepare volunteer nametags to be printed and ensure lanyards are available / on site
- Work with RD to develop Race Communication Plan
- Coordinate with any corporate sponsor HR departments, if applicable.